I continue to pray and prepare for Honduras. Since my last (and first) post, I have reflected on my other international travels. I recalled horse back riding in the Mayan ruins in Mexico with my college roommates, Visiting Canada with the Society of Automotive Engineers while attending the International Car show, doing my study abroad in Costa Rica, traveling back to Costa Rica to visit (all while considering moving there!). Traveling to Ecuador with my dear, sweet friend, Mishel and her son Gavin, to visit her parents. What wonderful hosts Jaime and Lejia were. My memories went back to my college roommates destination wedding in Jamaica, which was a bittersweet trip. Then, going back to Ecuador to reconnect with someone I had met there on my first visit...and to spend some time with the Canencias. I was amazed at how much different my life is at this point from where it was this time last year. You see, last year, I was planning a destination wedding to take place in Ecuador in August 2012. When this was cancelled, I never dreamed I'd be visiting another Latin American country in August 2012. I am thrilled to say that this time, it is to do God's work. I have truly been blessed to be able to travel as much as I have.
Unfortunately, with all of my prayers and preparations for Honduras, the devil (diablo) has started to attack. Nothing major, praise God! But he is showing up in the little things. For example, I'm having electrical issues in my new house. The garage door opener works when it wants to work, the jetted tub in the master likes to come on in the middle of the night, and then yesterday, the outlet in my garage blew up my vacuum cleaner (or so I believe that is what happened). I have had those I care about most lash out at me over a misunderstanding, and feel as though there are some people out there who just want to see you fail and be miserable! This is nothing unexpected as the devil is always trying to keep one from doing God's work. As I discussed some of my "weekend frustrations" with my mom on the phone last night, I told her that the devil must have forgotten how BIG my God is, but I have not! I hope I have made the devil extremely angry by choosing to stay positive and relying on God. My mom responded with how proud she is of me and that she believes the devil has chosen the wrong lady!
Jeremiah 17:9 says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it?" I will stick with the truth that is written in the Bible.
I happened upon this verse in Matthew today and this is how I choose to live. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14, 16
I cannot change what has happened in the past. I will do my best to help out in the present and the future to make things better and I will love unconditionally...just as Jesus did.
****
My parents get nervous when I travel... especially internationally. That might be because most of my international travel has been alone! They were none too happy when I told them that my phone would not work in Honduras and I would email when possible. They wanted phone numbers of the people whose phones would work while in Honduras. I don't like my number being given out and don't like to provide the numbers of others unless absolutely necessary (and with permission). I have given them the number of the group leader and the orginazation in Honduras FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY. That being said (typed) I realized that this just will not sufice for my worrisom parents. So, on my lunch break today, I went to a local latino market and purchased a calling card for them to call me in Honduras. Upon arrival, I can email my sister the home number of my host family and they can have that number as another contact. I am constantly quoting Philippians 4:6 to my family, especially my dad. "Don't be anxious about anything; rather, bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks."
God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment