Well, I've made a few short trips since my last post and have been doing my best to make positive changes in my life.
A week or so after my last post, I was in a car accident. Thankfully, everyone was ok. My car sustained a couple thousand dollars in damage, though. Below are pictures of my damaged car and then how great Collision One did with the repairs so I could still make my college roommate ski weekend in Snowshoe, WV!
 |
| The damage... |
 |
| All fixed!! :) |
I met up with one of my college roommates and her husband to begin our ski weekend. It was some MUCH needed time catching up with Charity and Brent and enjoying the snow and mountains in my home state. Our second night at Snowshoe, the now young man, I have mentored since he was 8 (now 20!) joined us. Oh how I enjoy are time together and being the best role model I can be for him. The clock in our condo had a dead battery, there was paneling on the walls, and it was...well...dated! Every time we would look to see what time it was, we would discover that it was still "11:13!" This quickly became our key phrase of the weekend and answer for almost everything!
 |
| The view of the mountains (and ski slope) from our condo. |
|
 |
| Me and Callie-Gator (as her dad calls her) |
In February, I made my first trip of the year home to visit my family. There was a benefit dinner for my friends who lost their 3 year old daughter and mother in an auto accident the Friday before Christmas. I enjoyed spending time with them and seeing how well little Callie was recovering.
 |
| Baby Jase, me, & Brody |
|
I also got to visit with 2 of my nephews. It was my very first time meeting my newest nephew, Jase. It was definitely love when I finally got to see and hold him.
My nieces couldn't wait to teach me how to "properly" make a snow angel. Paige gave me specific instructions and it was a blast!
"First, you have to put on your snow clothes. Next, you go outside, lay down in the snow and start moving your arms and legs back in forth REALLY fast. Last you get up and you have a snow angel!" It was great fun and my older sister has it on video.
 |
| Brooke, myself, & Paige after the "Snow Angel Lesson" |
In March, I went to Washington, D.C. with some of my Richmond friends for the National ShamrockFest. There were a lot of great bands and I think fun was had by all. Friday night, we went to a pub where my AKPsi brother was DJing. It was great to see him and catch up with a college friend.
 |
| My AKPsi brother, Matt Statler and myself |
Below is a photo I took of one of my favorite bands at ShamrockFEST. Niko Naow is the lead singer. This band was a lot of fun...and they even had a kilt competition...if you know what I mean! ;)
 |
| Lead singer of Celkilt, Niko Naow |
 |
| Rusty, me, Ed, Ryan, and Sarah at ShamrockFEST 2013 |
|
In April, my family came to visit me for Easter. This marked my 3rd year hosting Easter. We usually do the non-traditional meal for Easter and do a cookout. On Saturday, we went to the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. It was a long day and there weren't a lot of animals out and about, unfortunately. Brooke and Paige enjoyed riding the metro and seeing our National Capital. I always enjoy incorporating learning with fun experiences.
 |
| Elephant at the National Zoo |
|
 |
| Brooke & Paige standing with a Grizzly | |
|
As one of our traditions, we always go to BassPro when my family comes to visit. My nieces love looking at the fish, looking a fishing poles, etc. Paige was slightly concerned that this Grizzly might "get her", but Brooke convinced her that it wouldn't and they posed for a quick picture.
I also went "home" in April. It was such a great weekend at home and was very hard to leave. I spent as much time as I could playing with my nieces and nephews. I also saw how much work needs to be done on my property in WV. There never seems to be enough time to do everything. Currently, I feel that spending as much quality time with my family and friends is where I need to have my focus.
 |
| Brooke, Paige, and Brody...being silly! |
|
 |
| Brooke and Paige playing in Tyler's 4x4 |
|
In May, I headed to Virginia Beach to play in the Governor's Cup Volleyball Tournament. Saturday was cool and windy. Unfortunately, one of the guys my team played against early Saturday morning had a heart attack and passed away. It was such a hard thing to watch/experience.
There were MANY activities going on that weekend in VA Beach. One of the activities that interested me was the car show on the board walk. One of my favorite past time activities is going to car shows. I even found my all time dream car! 1969 Stingray Corvette, blue, 4 speed on the floor! I was infatuated!
 |
| VA Beach Governor's Cup 2013 |
 |
| Me with my dream car... '69 Vette - VA Beach 2013 |
|
|
|
|
I went back "home" for Memorial Weekend. My mom and I carried on my grandmothers tradition of decorating the graves. My dad and nieces joined us as we visited my great-grandfather's grave at the National Cemetery in Point Marion, PA. Brooke noticed that she shared a birthday with him. We decorated graves in 3 different cemeteries.
 |
| Paige and her Monkey, Ruby |
|
Paige broke her leg in May and has a cast on that goes just below her knee. For a week or 2 she had to be carried... EVERYWHERE! Thankfully she still fits in a stroller, but those don't work that well inside the house. I treated her to a trip to Build-A-Bear. However, the nearest one is in Pittsburgh, PA...1.5 hours away from my parents house! The girls went to church with me at Chestnut Ridge Church and then we headed to South Hills Village Mall for Paige to make her stuffed Monkey, Ruby, who also has a cast. The girls were excellent and I loved every minute with them! We also ate at Red Robin, which was a first for them. They enjoyed their food and we went over the states in the United States, some matching, and other activities on the children's menu.
 |
| Connor coloring |
|
Memorial Day was spent visiting my great-aunt Erma. She was mending some of my skirts/dresses for me and we enjoyed conversation. I also visited with a couple from my parents church. I had hoped to spend most of the day with my college roommate, Judi and her family. I hadn't seen them in 15 months. I was getting concerned that my nephew, Connor, would forget who I am.
He has grown SO much and is so smart! He was coloring and telling me how blue is his favorite color. I told him that blue is also my favorite color. I hope to get to see him more frequently and for more than an hour at a time.
This Saturday, June 15th, I will board a plane to Port au Prince Haiti for a mission trip. Prayers for travel safety, health, weather, etc. are greatly appreciated. I also pray that God uses us to his glory to bless the Haitians and full time missionaries while we are there. I will be keeping a journal of my/our experiences while I am there. I am unsure of internet access while I am there, so I might not be posting anything until I return.
Thanks for reading and God Bless!
Thank you for sharing Jen. It is really neat to hear about your experiences- I especially love to hear about when you go home:)
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading about your adventurs weather I was involved or not.
ReplyDeleteWow, you have a lot of awesome trips! So you love going to car shows too, huh? It seems that more and more girls are being involved on cars these days. I'm sure you didn't regret going to VA Beach because you were able to attend a car show and spotted your dream car as well. May I ask why '69 Vette's your dream car? I can feel that there's a wonderful reason behind it.
ReplyDeletePrince Moss @ Lexus Of Ann Arbor
Prince Moss - I grew up going to car shows with my dad and family. My dad had a 1969 Vette when he was younger and would tell me stories about it. I guess it is the definition in the front fenders on the Stingray and the longer nose. I like the body style of the '69 the most; however, the 2014 looks pretty sweet as well. :) Thanks for the comment! You've reminded me that I haven't blogged about my trip to Haiti or any trips since then!! May I ask how you found my blog??
ReplyDelete